Assistant Camp Director
Massaro Community Farm is a non-profit organization dedicated to the preservation of agricultural heritage. We oversee a 57-acre parcel of land operated collaboratively between the Town of Woodbridge and a Board of Directors comprised of local citizens. This land, formerly owned by the Massaro Family, now serves as the base for a 150-member CSA. The farm also provides a series of education and family-related events throughout the year. Our mission is to keep farming, feed people and build community. We want visitors to experience the farm and open community space as an exciting place to explore, and to discover how people, food, and the environment are interconnected.
Massaro Community Farm seeks an Assistant Camp Director for our two-week summer camp in August. Camp engages 6-9 year olds in activities around the farm, including stories, natural crafts, healthy snack time and connecting to where their food comes from. It incorporates our walking trail through the woods, the learning garden, honeybee apiary, chickens, and renovated dairy barn. Camp runs from 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. each day and is operated in partnership with the Woodbridge Recreation Department. The Assistant Camp Director will assist the Education Director in developing and leading camp activities and providing a safe and fun camp experience. The Assistant Camp Director will be on-site for the full two weeks of camp in August as well as for preparations the week before camp begins. There is the potential for this position to extend to assisting with educational workshops and school field trips in the fall. All applicants who love nature and children are welcome and encouraged.
- Creating a safe, memorable, educational camp experience for our campers
- Developing and/or learning lesson and activity plans; teaching lessons and running activities
- Supervising and interacting with campers during recreation and snack times
- Supervising and directing assistant counselors
- Assuring physical and emotional safety of all participants, behavior management
- Leading/participating in all camp activities, including hiking, active outdoor play, farm exploration, farm animal care, cooking, environmental science lessons, crafts, games, and more
- Contributing to facility maintenance and cleaning as needed at the end of each camp day.
- Experience working with children in formal or informal settings (school, nature center, summer camp, scouts, etc)
- Interest in and basic knowledge of the natural world
- Willingness to get dirty and work hard in all weather (including summer heat, humidity, and rain)
- Ability to be physically active for gardening, nature trail walks, crafts, etc.
- Demonstrated commitment, reliability, punctuality, and responsible behavior at previous jobs
- Commitment to sustainable agriculture
- First Aid certification
For those interested in applying, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org