Green Village Initiative (GVI) is an urban agriculture organization in Bridgeport. Our mission is to grow food, knowledge, leadership and community through urban gardening and farming, to create a more just food system in Bridgeport. We recognize the importance of addressing the systemic inequities that cause poverty and hunger in our city and we are working towards a Bridgeport in which all people can access healthy, culturally relevant, locally grown foods at school, at work, and at home. We support Bridgeport’s school gardens, manage 12 community gardens and an urban farm, and engage youth in leadership programming. Our programs engage thousands of community members in growing and consuming Bridgeport-grown food; all produce is grown for the local community without the use of harmful chemicals.
We are seeking a Director of Operations to strengthen our programs strategies, delivery and processes, boost team professional development, and develop our organizational policies. This person will ensure that the best systems are in place to help us significantly increase our impact by developing program\strategies and success measurements, guiding the team in pivoting when needed, and improving
day-to-day implementation of programs.
The Director of Operations will work closely with GVI’s Executive Director to lead our team through program development and implementation, develop organizational culture, and improve our procedures and policies. The Director of Operations will directly supervise our Operations Assistant, and our Youth Leadership Program and School Garden Program Teams, which include Program Managers, Program
Coordinators, FoodCorps Service Members, interns, Youth Fellows and our Youth Farm Crew. Our Community Gardens Team and Farm Team will report to the Executive Director. The ideal candidate will possess strong organizational and administrative skills, a talent in team development and youth development, a deep connection to the city of Bridgeport, and an eagerness to jump in and get involved in the field when needed. This position will involve both field and desk work and requires an ability to effectively balance these responsibilities, manage time, and delegate.
The responsibilities of this position include the following:
- Work with the Executive Director to lead all Program Managers through effectively setting annual goals and implementing programs strategies.
- Develop long-term organizational goals, strategies, policies and work culture.
- Directly supervise and develop the following team members: our Operations Assistant; a Youth Leadership Program Team consisting of a Program Manager, Program Coordinator and Youth Fellows and Youth Farm Crew; a School Gardens Program Team consisting of a Program Manager, Program Coordinator, and 2 FoodCorps Service Members; and additional interns or team members based on organizational development.
- Manage departmental budgets with direct reports.
- Oversee administrative functions including inventory and managing contracts with suppliers.
- Work with Executive Director and Program Managers to align annual budgets to program priorities and to build Program Managers’ budgetary skills.
- Create and implement plans for team professional development in areas including program management, data management and budget management.
- Oversee marketing, communications and community outreach activities. This includes management of contracted social media partners, and development of educational workshops and community events, including Spring Kick Off and Harvest Fest.
- Develop and maintain key strategic partnerships including with FoodCorps and the Bridgeport Board of Education to increase awareness of and participation in GVI’s programs and mission.
- Oversee Operations Assistant in leading volunteer management processes. Coordinate larger-scale volunteer activities such as garden builds.
- Coordinate GVI’s participation at community events.
- Other activities as needed.
Necessary Skills and Experience
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience in a relevant field, such as non-profit operations, food systems, or community-based programming.
- Relevant work experience including program development and program management.
- A demonstrated personal and active commitment to antiracism and a sense of responsibility to the Bridgeport community.
- A passion for community, agriculture, food justice, and youth leadership development.
- Supervisory experience and experience leading teams through setting and reaching goals, skill building, and professional development.
- Demonstrated experience in budget management.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities, problem solve, and manage complex projects while keeping track of details and long-term goals.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; conversational Spanish is a plus.
- Proficiency in Google Suite, Microsoft Office, Mailchimp, Facebook and Instagram.
- Excitement to work in a fast-paced organization and a desire to learn more about non-profit operations, urban gardening, and community building.
- Ability to approach responsibilities and tasks with strategic thinking.
- Excellent program management skill and attention to detail.
- Ability to perform physical work at a garden or farm when needed, (e.g. bending, kneeling), including in extreme heat.
- A superior work ethic and demonstrated ability to be self-directed while working collaboratively with teams.
- Driver’s license and access to reliable transportation.
Hours and Compensation:
This is a full time position starting immediately. This position reports to GVI’s Executive Director. Compensation is $45,000 to $55,000 annually depending on experience. Health benefits are available. This position will be primarily offsite while COVID-19 guidelines are in effect.
Send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “Director of Operations” in the subject.