Our mission is to grow food, knowledge, leadership, and community through urban gardening and farming, to create a more just food system in Bridgeport.
Reservoir Community Farm, GVI’s urban farm, is a 1.7-acre farm in Bridgeport’s Reservoir neighborhood. The farm’s main focus is to create space to educate how we grow pesticide-free, nutritious vegetables in our city. Our produce is sold to our neighbors at affordable prices at our on-site farm stand two days a week, June – October.
Reservoir Community Farm is also a community gathering space, we work closely with our neighbors and the city to provide a safe, engaging environment.
POSITION SUMMARY AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Green Village Initiative is seeking a productive, energetic, experienced Assistant Farm Manager. The ideal candidate will have experience with organic growing practices, team management, event management, and direct interpersonal communication. This
candidate should enjoy working and sharing knowledge while remaining focused on farm tasks and projects. Self direction and at least one season on a production farm is highly encouraged.
The Assistant Farm Manager will work directly with the Farm Manager to grow high-quality organic produce on the farm and at times lead and collaborate with other staff, volunteers and youth. Responsibilities include greenhouse maintenance, transplanting,
weeding, bed preparation, weed whacking, harvesting, working and troubleshooting our irrigation system, preparing vegetables for sale at the Reservoir Community Farm Farm Stand with the highest degree of food safety, working with the Farm Manager to maintain team accountability, speed, and cooperation, and maintaining the harvest and sales data collection systems. This position requires full-body manual labor, including stooping, lifting crates of 50 lbs., kneeling, squatting, and standing for multiple hours.
● A positive and professional attitude for all work interactions, especially in moments of conflict
● Effective communication with visitors, team members, and large groups
● Ability to push one’s self to perform quickly, efficiently, and accept feedback while setting quick pace for team
● Enthusiasm to work in a fast-paced, diverse, farming environment with youth, community members and volunteers
● Ability to perform all physical facets of farm work, please see above description
● Must be able to work with little oversight while understanding the need to seek direction when appropriate
● Punctuality is a must in this role. A very strong work ethic and experience maintaining energy for labor are also required.
● Access to reliable transportation to and from the farm for all hours
● Minimum one-season commitment to the position (April – October), for all scheduled hours
● Commitment to food access for all Bridgeporters, Green Village Initiative’s mission, stated above
**Spanish fluency is a plus!**
DATES AND WORKDAYS
● The position begins Friday, April 19, 2019. It is a part-time position averaging 24 hours a week, depending on the month.
Work days will be cancelled if weather conditions are deemed unsafe. Days off are Tuesday & Wednesday.
● $12.50 – 15 an hour, dependent on experience
● Leadership, management, and agricultural training
● Pesticide-free vegetables to take home
To apply: Send your resume and cover letter or your list of experiences and why you are interested in this position to email@example.com. Email or call 203-612-4107 with any questions.