Wholesome Wave is hiring a Development Manager.
About Wholesome Wave
Wholesome Wave is a national nonprofit making fruits and vegetables affordable for the people who need them most. When people can afford produce, they buy it. When the millions of Americans struggling with poverty eat more fruits and vegetables, we see immediate improvements for families and farmers—and enormous long-term gains for public health, local economies, and the environment. Wholesome Wave’s innovative initiatives reach a million under-served consumers, as well as thousands of farmers annually, in 49 states plus DC, and counting.
Join a dynamic, committed, creative, team implementing innovative programs that transform lives and empower families and communities with healthy food. Reporting to the Chief Development Officer, the Development Manager supports the mission of Wholesome Wave through grant writing and fund development management (corporate, foundation, government, individual), advancing development department operations, tracking and seeing actions through to completion, and providing executive support to the CDO.
Working from Wholesome Wave’s headquarters in Bridgeport, CT, the Development Manager is responsible for researching and identifying new funding opportunities; writing compelling concept papers and proposals; managing funder/donor relationships, managing internal grant processes including tracking and responding to reporting requirements and inquiries; tracking departmental deadlines and tasks; maintaining pipeline reports and revenue projections; and, overseeing gift processing and database management.
The primary goal of this role is to work closely with the CDO and Partnerships Manager to expand existing development relationships and secure new 6- and 7-digit partnerships. The Development Manager must be a proactive, confident self-starter who thrives in a fast-paced environment that values results. S/he is persistent, enthusiastic, and driven to succeed in driving efforts to grow a robust pipeline of philanthropic support, and in setting and exceeding goals.
The position responsibilities include:
- Research, identify, and qualify potential funding opportunities that align with Wholesome Wave programs and goals to grow the pipeline of prospective institutional funders.
- Create and maintain calendar of upcoming proposal and reporting deadlines among known funders and prioritized prospective funders.
- Track funder contacts and task assignments for open grants in The Raiser’s Edge NXT database.
- Manage timely coordination of all grant-related administration and necessary approvals by Partnerships Manager and colleagues in Development, Communications, and Finance including preparation of materials and information for use in pre- and post-grant meetings with team members and other internal and external stakeholders, proposals and reports, any required impact and/or budget attachments, donor recognition in accordance with grant agreements, and fulfillment of any other requirements for open grants in advance of required deadlines.
- Author, co-author, coordinate and/or edit letters of inquiry, concept papers, proposal narratives, grant applications, budgets, timelines, impact projections, and any other supporting documentation for grant applications and funding proposals, with great attention to detail, sensitivity to the audience (e.g. technical submissions for major institutions v. personal family foundations), and working closely relevant staff to ensure accuracy of information.
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with team members and grantors/funders.
- Provide support to appropriate team members in the development of grant applications; Identify and coordinate appropriate resources needed to address tasks to be performed or data to be gathered in support of the writing and submission process.
Executive Support & Department Operations
- Prepare briefing and presentation materials for CDO, CEO and other executives for meetings with prospective funders.
- Handle outgoing and incoming communications with existing and prospective donors.
- Collaborate with Partnerships Manager to understand projects, priorities, and to identify new funding opportunities; Serve as a liaison to project leads, as assigned.
- In collaboration with the Chief Development Officer, develop and execute of actionable cultivation and solicitation strategies for current and prospective funders, including the appropriate utilization of key Wholesome Wave executives, Partnerships Manager, and others.
- Manage overall stewardship plan for institutional funders to include both personal contact and updates from relevant Wholesome Wave staff and partners and works creatively to identify new stewardship opportunities.
- Manage department contracts for development software platforms, subscriptions, industry news and grant alert subscriptions, and other contract services.
- Manage organizational accounts/profiles on giving platforms and charity rating sites (YourCause, Benevity, Guidestar, Charity Navigator, etc.).
- Keep current on news, trends, and best practices associated with the philanthropic sector.
Gift Processing & Acknowledgement
- Oversee gift entry staff to ensure accuracy of gift details, such as tributes, matches, fund designations, etc. and commit gift batches to The Financial Edge.
- Work closely with Communications to ensure timely acknowledgment of all gifts, including donor recognition associated with grants and other funding contracts.
Database Management & Reporting
- Update code structures in The Raiser’s Edge to maintain accurate tracking of campaigns, appeals, fund designations, etc.
- Maintain accurate, timely, and comprehensive records in CRM database, including key contacts, decision-makers/influencers, interactions, next steps, and tracking of proposal and stewardship activity.
- Maintain pipeline report and accompanying revenue projections; Track organizational revenues against budget/goals and provide monthly updates to CDO and Executive staff.
- Compile and track program data, statistics, and financial information for organizational communications, including grant proposals and reports.
- Prepare other due diligence and reports as requested.
- Participate in Wholesome Wave events, as needed.
- Undertake special projects and other functions, as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, & Attributes
Success will require the following qualities:
- Ability to track interactions, analyze and present data effectively, make decisions, allocate resources, and align efforts with opportunities;
- High level of organization with attention to detail;
- Outstanding research, writing, proof reading, planning, organizing, conceptual and strategic/critical thinking skills;
- Superb verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills; the ability to communicate in a compelling and succinct manner
- Ability to think strategically and contextually, to anticipate the needs and expectations of executive leaders, and to identify and adapt well to evolving needs and opportunities;
- Self-motivated, self-sufficient, solution-oriented, takes initiative, and driven to lead and collaborate with others to achieve success;
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment by multi-tasking, acting as a cross-functional team leader, and strong contributor on team projects with stellar project management skills;
- Strategic, proactive, and forward thinking;
- Persuasive, outgoing, and confident;
- Possesses the highest standards of personal and professional integrity, acting with tact and discretion, respecting confidentiality and proprietary information;
- Adheres to and promotes Wholesome Wave’s mission, core values, and strategic priorities;
- Acts with tact and discretion, respecting confidentiality and proprietary information;
- Ability to work independently as well as with a team;
Education & Work Experience
- Minimum Required: Bachelor’s Degree in related field
- Preferred: Advanced degree. CFRE or other specialized certification/designation.
- Minimum Required: 5-7 years institutional giving, grant writing/proposal development, and/or similar fundraising experience in a similar role at an organization of comparable size and complexity.
Specialized Knowledge & Skills Needed for Performance of Job
- Demonstrated success in grant writing, coordination, and executive support.
- Portfolio management experience beneficial.
- Proficient with CRM systems (preferably The Raiser’s Edge NXT), MSOffice, Google Suite, and Internet.
- Knowledge of relevant analytical tools and wealth screening beneficial.
- The Development Manager must be able to work from Bridgeport, CT office at least 4 days/week
- May be required to work evenings and weekends during major campaigns and special events
- Occasional regional and national travel required
Compensation, Time and Classification:
- Classification is Full-Time, Salaried position
- Working hours Monday-Friday 9-5 with some flexibility
- Salary commensurate with skills and experience
- Competitive health and ancillary benefits
- Looking for candidates to start immediately
How to apply: please email a single attachment labeled with your first and last name only (firstlast.pdf) in PDF format containing (a) a cover letter, (b) CV, and (c) three references to firstname.lastname@example.org with “DEVELOPMENT MANAGER 2018” in the subject line.
WHOLESOME WAVE is firmly committed to equal employment and advancement opportunities for all present employees as well as for applicants without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, age, lawful source of income, mental retardation, mental disability or physical disability, including, but not limited to, blindness or deafness, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other category protected by federal, state or local law.