Our mission is to grow food, knowledge, leadership, and community through urban gardening and farming, to create a more just food system in Bridgeport.
Reservoir Community Farm, GVI’s urban farm, is a 1.7-acre farm in Bridgeport’s Reservoir neighborhood. The farm’s main focus is to create space to educate how we grow pesticide-free, nutritious vegetables in our city. Our produce is sold to our neighbors at affordable prices at our on-site farm stand two days a week, June – October.
Reservoir Community Farm is also a community gathering space, we work closely with our neighbors and the city to provide a safe, engaging environment.
POSITION SUMMARY AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Green Village Initiative is seeking two personable, self-motivated individuals with hustle and focus to join our farm team as Farm Stand Crew. The ideal candidates will have experience with sales, our Bridgeport community, vegetable growing knowledge, and
enthusiasm for working with customers and customer service. All candidates should also enjoy working and sharing knowledge with customers while remaining focused on tasks and responsibilities. Comfort working in all weather, doing math quickly, lifting heavy
loads repeatedly, and spending long periods standing are a necessity. Experience at a farm or outdoor market is a plus.
The Farm Stand Crew will work directly with the Farm Manager to ensure the highest food safety standards. They will regularly work with other staff, volunteers, and youth. Responsibilities include cultivating positive relationships with farm visitors, volunteers,
neighbors, gardeners, and farm stand customers, leading in washing, and packing vegetables for sale, and maintaining harvest and sales data collection systems with care and speed.
● A positive, helpful and professional attitude, especially in terms of customer service
● Effective communication and math skills
● Excitement to work in a fast-paced, diverse, farming environment with youth and community members
● Ability to perform all physical facets of farm work, including stooping, bending, standing, and kneeling for long periods of time in all weather conditions (including cold and extreme heat); ability to lift 50 pounds
● Must be able to work with little supervision while understanding the need to seek direction when appropriate
● Punctual, energetic, and possess a strong, developed work ethic
● Access to reliable transportation to and from the farm
● Minimum one-season commitment to the position (May – October), for all scheduled hours
● Commitment to food access for all Bridgeporters and Green Village Initiative’s mission, stated above
**Spanish fluency is a plus!**
DATES AND WORKDAYS
● 2019 Farm Stand Hours: Thursdays, 4 – 7 PM; Saturdays 10 – 2 PM + Friday work days
● The position begins Friday, June 6, 2019 and is a part-time position averaging 15 hours per week
● Work days will be cancelled when weather conditions are deemed unsafe
● Repetitive, full-body physical labor is required for farm stand setup and break down two days each week
● $12 – 13 an hour, dependent on experience
● Leadership and agricultural training
● Pesticide-free vegetables to take home
To apply: Send your resume and cover letter or your list of experiences and why you are interested in this position to email@example.com. Email or call 203-612-4107 with any questions.