Our mission is to grow food, knowledge, leadership, and community through urban gardening and farming, to create a more just food system in Bridgeport.
Reservoir Community Farm, GVI’s urban farm, is a 1.7-acre farm in Bridgeport’s Reservoir neighborhood. The farm’s main focus is to create space to educate how we grow pesticide-free, nutritious vegetables in our city. Our produce is sold to our neighbors at affordable prices at our on-site farm stand two days a week, June – October.
Reservoir Community Farm is also a community gathering space, we work closely with our neighbors and the city to provide a safe, engaging environment.
POSITION SUMMARY AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Green Village Initiative is seeking a dynamic, self-motivated individual with hustle as a Farm Work Crew Member. The ideal candidate will have an experience with manual labor and vegetable growing. One should enjoy working and sharing knowledge with
others, while remaining focused on farm tasks and responsibilities. Self direction, comfort working in ALL weather, lifting heavy loads (at least 50 lbs.) repeatedly, and spending long periods kneeling, bending, and using your entire body are a necessity.
The Farm Work Crew will work directly with the Farm Manager and Assistant Farm Manager during the 2019 farm season to seed, water, plant, weed, harvest, and process thousands of pounds of vegetables. The Farm Crew member will set a quick, focused work pace and lead other staff, volunteers, and GVI’s youth leadership program in farming tasks. Responsibilities include maintaining a positive team dynamic, data collection, field and greenhouse vegetable management, soil and compost production in addition totasks above.
● A positive, helpful and professional attitude
● Effective communication skills and excitement to use those skills with a team
● Ability to push one’s self to perform quickly, efficiently and accept teaching and feedback
● Excitement to work in a fast-paced, diverse, farming environment with youth and community members
● Ability to perform all physical facets of farm work, please see above description
● Must be able to work with little oversight while understanding the need to seek direction when appropriate
● Punctual, energetic, and possess a very strong work ethic
● Access to reliable transportation to and from the farm
● Minimum one-season commitment to the position (April – October), for all scheduled hours
● Commitment to food access for all Bridgeporters, Green Village Initiative’s mission, stated above
**Spanish fluency is a plus!**
DATES AND WORKDAYS
● The position begins Friday, April 19, 2019 and is part-time, averaging 16 hours per week, depending on the month. Work days will be cancelled when weather conditions are deemed unsafe. This position has three days off each week.
● Repetitive, full-body physical labor is required for each day of work.
● $12 – 13 an hour, dependent on experience
● Leadership and agricultural training
● Pesticide-free vegetables to take home
To apply: Send your resume and cover letter or your list of experiences and why you are interested in this position to email@example.com. Email or call 203-612-4107 with any questions.