SNAP Match Program Coordinator
Help expand access to healthy, locally grown foods in Bridgeport!
About Bridgeport Farmers Market Collaborative
There are 7 farmers markets and farm stands located throughout the city of Bridgeport on 5 days of the week. Each market serves as a vital community food access point in neighborhoods that lack permanent healthy food retail outlets. All Bridgeport farmers markets operate a SNAP incentive program to
encourage people to spend SNAP benefits on the healthy, local foods available at the market. Markets also accept WIC FMNP and CVV, Senior FMNP, credit/debit, and cash.
This position reports to the Bridgeport Farmers Market Collaborative (BFMC), whose members represent all 7 farmers markets and farm stands in the city of Bridgeport. The BFMC Program Coordinator will manage the market information booth at each market. The info booth serves to enrich the customer’s
experience of the market by increasing access, awareness, and education of locally grown foods, and to strengthen and support our farmers’ successes. The Program coordinator is the public face of Bridgeport farmers markets in interactions with customers, local businesses, community partners, and vendors, and thus should be knowledgeable and passionate about the community and local food access.
● Attend 7 markets (Tuesday – Saturday) arriving 30 minutes prior to opening and remaining until 30 minutes after closing; Help set up and break down market, including any tents, tables, and signage
● Manage the market info booth: process SNAP payments and distribute market match, welcome customers to the market, answer general questions and educate customers about locally grown produce, promote overall market (including activities and programs), process credit/debit
● Develop and maintain good working relationships with fellow market staff, BFMC members, market vendors, customers, community members, partner organizations
● Promote use of SNAP and matching incentive at all BFMC sites; interact with customers to answer questions and gather feedback on the markets; identify areas for improvement and share with BFMC members
● Conduct detailed data collection on customer sales transactions and enter into online database on weekly basis
● Assist in maintaining accurate financial records and processing vendor reimbursements on a monthly basis for SNAP and matching incentive
● Set and track against pre-season and post-season goals for improving program implementation, in coordination with BFMC members
● Oversee any volunteers or interns during market hours
● Arbitrate complaints, comments, and requests from vendors and customers with regard to SNAP matching program
● Assist in vendor recruitment, including fielding requests for booth space from community partners and local businesses
● Support BFMC members on any special event logistics at market, including cooking demonstrations, educational programming, music, or other activities, to help ensure market environment is welcoming and inclusive
● Capture programming and market activities for use in social media and other reporting
● Represent BFMC at conferences, webinars, conference calls, or meetings as relevant to the position
● Experience working with nonprofits, farmers markets, and/or retail
● Passion for building local community and economy by developing vibrant farmers markets that are reflective of the surrounding neighborhood and responsive to resident interest
● Bilingual in Spanish
● Initiative, leadership, and ability to work collaboratively with a diverse range of stakeholders
● Detail-oriented and able to maintain organized and accurate records
● Excellent interpersonal communication, including verbal and written
● Project management, especially juggling multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment
● Creative conflict and problem-solving
● Friendly and professional manner while interacting with shoppers, market guests and visitors, city employees, vendors, and market staff
● Computer literate, with proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google applications
● Sense of humor, patience, and perseverance
● 3 years professional work experience
● Able and willing to work outside in inclement weather
● Access to reliable transportation
● Access to personal computer and internet during non-market hours
● Able to lift up to 50 pounds
● Available by phone and email
● Pass background check
● Report to designated supervisor within BFMC on weekly basis
● Attend monthly BFMC meetings to share general market and programming updates
● Communicate issues that arise on-site during market days promptly and as needed
● Up to 30 hours/week June and November. Up to 50 hours/week July – October.
● Market schedule TBD – typically five market days, with two days off (may be non-consecutive).
● Must be in Bridgeport during market hours, can complete off-site hours from home or at designated work space hosted by BFMC member
Compensation: Hourly at $12-18, based on experience.
Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 14th