Green Village Initiative is seeking one part-time seasonal Farm Stand Crew Member for the 2020 growing season at Reservoir Community Farm in Bridgeport, CT.
Position Title: Farm Stand Crew Member
Organization: Green Village Initiative
Location: Bridgeport, Connecticut
About Green Village Initiative
Green Village Initiative (GVI) is an urban agriculture organization in Bridgeport. Our mission is to grow food, knowledge, leadership and community through urban gardening and farming, to create a more just food system in Bridgeport. We recognize the importance of addressing the systemic inequities that cause poverty and hunger in our city and we are working towards a Bridgeport in which all people can access healthy, culturally relevant, locally grown foods at school, at work, and at home. We support Bridgeport’s school gardens, manage 12 community gardens and an urban farm and engage youth in leadership programming. Our programs engage thousands of community members in growing and consuming Bridgeport-grown food; all produce is grown without the use of harmful chemicals for the local community.
About Reservoir Community Farm
Reservoir Community Farm, GVI’s urban farm, is a 1.7-acre farm in Bridgeport’s Reservoir neighborhood. The farm’s main focus is to create space to educate how we grow pesticide-free, nutritious vegetables in our city. Our produce is sold to our neighbors at affordable prices at our on-site farm stand two days a week, June – October. RCF is also a community gathering space, we work closely with our neighbors and the city to provide a safe, engaging environment.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
Green Village Initiative is seeking a personable, self-motivated individual with hustle and focus to join our farm team as Farm Stand Crew. The ideal candidate will have experience with sales, our Bridgeport community, vegetable growing knowledge, and enthusiasm for working with customers and customer service. All candidates should also enjoy working and sharing knowledge with customers while remaining focused on tasks and responsibilities. Comfort working in all weather, doing math quickly, lifting heavy loads repeatedly, and spending long periods standing are a necessity. Experience at a farm or outdoor market is a plus. The Farm Stand Crew will work directly with the Farm Manager to ensure the highest food safety standards. They will regularly work with other staff, volunteers, and youth. Responsibilities include cultivating positive relationships with farm visitors, volunteers, neighbors, gardeners, and farm stand customers, leading in washing, and packing vegetables for sale, and maintaining harvest sales data collection/filling systems with care and speed.
- A positive, helpful and professional attitude, especially in terms of customer service
- Effective communication and math skills
- Excitement to work in a fast-paced, diverse, farming environment with youth and community members
- Ability to perform all physical facets of farm work, including stooping, bending, standing, and kneeling for long periods of time in all weather conditions (including cold and extreme heat); ability to lift 50 pounds
- Must be able to work with little supervision while understanding the need to seek direction when appropriate
- Punctual, energetic, and possess a strong, developed work ethic
- Access to reliable transportation to and from the farm
- Minimum one-season commitment to the position (May – October), for all scheduled hours
- Commitment to food access and food safety for all Bridgeporters and Green Village Initiative’s mission, stated above
- Ability to collect and enter sales data into an online filing system
- **Spanish fluency is a plus!**
Dates and Workdays
- 2020 Farm Stand Hours: Saturdays 10 – 2 PM + Friday work days, other days upon hire
- The position begins Friday, June 5, 2020 and is a part-time position averaging 18 hours per week depending on the month
- Work days will be cancelled when weather conditions are deemed unsafe
- Repetitive, full-body physical labor is required for farm stand setup and break down two days each week
Send your resume or a letter of interest and experience to Opportunities@gogvi.org. Compensation includes $13 – 15 an hour, dependent on experience, leadership and agricultural training and pesticide-free vegetables to take home.