Position Title: Farm Work Crew Member
Organization: Green Village Initiative
Location: Bridgeport, Connecticut
About Green Village Initiative
Green Village Initiative (GVI) is an urban agriculture organization in Bridgeport. Our mission is to grow food, knowledge, leadership and community through urban gardening and farming, to create a more just food system in Bridgeport. We recognize the importance of addressing the systemic inequities that cause poverty and hunger in our city and we are working towards a Bridgeport in which all people can access healthy, culturally relevant, locally grown foods at school, at work, and at home. We support Bridgeport’s school gardens, manage 12 community gardens and an urban farm and engage youth in leadership programming. Our programs engage thousands of community members in growing and consuming Bridgeport-grown food; all produce is grown without the use of harmful chemicals for the local community.
About Reservoir Community Farm
Reservoir Community Farm, GVI’s urban farm, is a 1.7-acre farm in Bridgeport’s Reservoir neighborhood. The farm’s main focus is to create space to educate how we grow pesticide-free, nutritious vegetables in our city. Our produce is sold to our neighbors at affordable prices at our on-site farm stand two days a week, June – October. RCF is also a community gathering space, we work closely with our neighbors and the city to provide a safe, engaging environment.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
Green Village Initiative is seeking a dynamic, self-motivated individual with hustle as a Farm Work Crew Member. The ideal candidate will have an understanding of/experience with manual labor and vegetable growing. One should enjoy working and sharing knowledge with others, while remaining focused on farm tasks and responsibilities. Self direction, comfort working in ALL weather, lifting heavy loads (at least 50 lbs.) repeatedly, and spending long periods kneeling, bending, and using your entire body are a necessity. The Farm Work Crew Member will work directly with the Farm Manager and Assistant Farm Manager during the 2020 farm season to seed, water, plant, weed, harvest, and process thousands of pounds of vegetables. The Farm Work Crew Member will set a quick, focused work pace and lead other staff, volunteers, and GVI’s youth leadership program in farming tasks. Responsibilities include maintaining a positive team dynamic, data collection, field and greenhouse vegetable management, soil and compost production in addition to tasks above.
- A positive, helpful and professional attitude
- Effective communication skills and excitement to use those skills with a team
- Ability to push one’s self to perform quickly, efficiently and accept teaching and feedback
- Excitement to work in a fast-paced, diverse, farming environment with youth and community members
- Ability to perform all physical facets of farm work, please see above description
- Must be able to work with little oversight while understanding the need to seek direction when appropriate
- Punctual, energetic, and possess a very strong work ethic
- Access to reliable transportation to and from the farm
- Minimum one-season commitment to the position (April – October), for all scheduled hours
- Commitment to food access for all Bridgeporters, Green Village Initiative’s mission, stated above
- **Spanish fluency is a plus!**
Dates and Workdays
- The position is a part-time position averaging 20 hours per week, depending on the month. Work days will be cancelled when weather conditions are deemed unsafe. This position has three days off each week.
- Repetitive, full-body physical labor is required for each day of work.
Send your resume or a letter of interest and experience to Opportunities@gogvi.org. Compensation includes $13 – 15 an hour, dependent on experience, leadership and agricultural training and pesticide-free vegetables to take home.