Community Engagement Manager
The Community Engagement Manager is responsible for planning, growing and managing KNOX’s volunteer and community engagement programs. This position serves as the face and voice of KNOX in Hartford’s diverse neighborhoods and ensures all KNOX projects meet the needs and wishes of volunteer participants and beneficiaries. This role manages all volunteer resources who assist in the delivery of KNOX’s programs and services and advance the goals in concert with KNOX and members of the Hartford community. In addition, this position organizes, coordinates and project manages a wide variety of events hosted or sponsored by KNOX.
This position requires full time 40 hour weeks. Some evenings and Saturdays required. The work occurs both indoors and outdoors.
- Build and manage relationships with the community and key stakeholders to advance KNOX’s mission. including neighborhood organizations, civic groups, and key community members.
- Attend and represent KNOX at community meetings, ensuring green community building is a central focus of applicable plans and projects.
- Serve as a constant source of information, encouragement, and advice for the community as Hartford’s neighborhoods undertake green work.
- Monitor community’s pulse and city appearance constantly to direct KNOX and volunteer resources where they are most needed.
- Promote the volunteer program to gain community support of the volunteer program and the organization.
- Develop and implement goals and objectives for the volunteer program which reflect the mission of KNOX.
- Assess the need for volunteers to enhance program/service delivery.
- Manage volunteer events and resources to assist in the delivery of the organization’s programs and services.
- Develop a budget for the volunteer program activities.
- Conduct ongoing evaluation of the programs and services delivered by volunteers and implement improvements as necessary.
- Develop and implement effective strategies to recruit the right volunteers with the right skills.
- Plan and manage a monthly series of 7 open-to-the-public, community greening volunteer events annually. This program is entitled the Greater Hartford Green Team.
- Solicit and manage volunteer work days with local companies and civic groups. Directly supervise 15 a year, and provide logistical support (tools, location, follow-up) to 30 more.
- Manage tool and supply inventory for above activities.
- Coordinate these projects with City of Hartford, Department of Public Works activities and support.
- Plan, organize and coordinate details in the development, execution and supervision of events for members, fundraising (including annual Greenhouse and Garden parties) and the community (including annual Harvest Market, HUGS awards).
- Identify volunteer assignments that provide meaningful work for volunteers, and ensure the volunteers receive the appropriate level of training and supervision.
- Manage “community recognition” and awards events as needed to recognize the contribution of volunteers to the organization.
- Adhere to budgets as well as accounting for and recording post event expenses.
- Coordinate multiple tasks and events simultaneously, be flexible and adaptable to time-sensitive deadlines and change, and work well under pressure.
- Collaborate and assist KNOX staff and board in education, workforce development, event planning and community gardening efforts.
- Work within project and program budgets. Implement funded proposals and scopes of work.
- Provide input into organization’s fundraising and marketing communications including grant proposals and online and print marketing materials.
- Maintain records and report on projects to internal and external stakeholders.
- Supervise consultants and interns as needed.
- Proven success with coordination of volunteer activities.
- Demonstrated event planning experience.
- Excellent project management skills.
- Working knowledge of gardening and tree plantings.
- Experience working with multicultural and ethnic groups.
- Intimate knowledge of Hartford
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office suite
- Experienced public speaker
- Demonstrated excellence in organizational, managerial, relationship building, and communications skills.
- Ability to lift 25 pounds.
- Valid Connecticut Driver’s License
- B.A./B.S. in applicable field a plus.
- Bi-lingual a plus.