Position Summary: New Haven Farms seeks an Administrative Assistant to support the organization in development and office operations. The Administrative Assistant will work with the Executive Director and staff to develop New Haven Farms’ engagement strategy, leveraging collaboration to achieve shared goals around revenue, relations, and office management.
Primary responsibilities will include communications, operational capacity building, grant management, donor data management, bookkeeping, and support around event planning. This position will work directly with the Executive Director, supporting her in daily operations of the organization.
About New Haven Farms: New Haven Farms’ mission is to promote health and community development through urban agriculture. We transform vacant, urban land into vibrant and productive organic farms. Our Farm Manager and volunteer corps cultivate seven urban farms, and our harvest is made accessible to low-income families who struggle with diet-related chronic diseases and food insecurity. Our signature program, the Farm-Based Wellness Program, provides hands-on cooking demonstrations, nutrition education, therapeutic gardening, and a basket of fresh produce to families referred by their primary care physicians. Program participants struggle with the double burden of food insecurity and risk factors for chronic diet related illness. For more information about New Haven Farms, visit newhavenfarms.org.
● Support NHF staff in administrative capacity, including working with our accountant to process payments, receipts, and transition to managing payroll in house
● Manage daily office operations, including mail processing
● Provide direct assistance to Executive Director
● Facilitate donor cultivation and retainment efforts
● Provide oversight and logistics for events, including summer farm visits, peer-to-peer fundraising, and fall fundraiser
● Promote new ways to connect with stakeholders
● Support the engagement of volunteers and community members in the mission of New Haven Farms
● Cultivate regular communication through digital and print media (newsletter, website, social media, mailings)
● Manage, in conjunction with our accountant, weekly processing of receipts and checks
● Associates Degree
● 1+ year of experience in fundraising and development
● 1+ year of administrative experience
● Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
● Excellent organizational skills, proven ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks, and to meet deadlines
● Experience working with Salesforce, Constant Contact, WordPress and Quickbooks
● Able to communicate effectively and respectfully with diverse communities
● Ability to work individually in a self-directed manner and as part of a team in group projects
● Dedicated to the mission of New Haven Farms
● Flexibility to operate in a small dynamic nonprofit organization
● Fluent in written and verbal Spanish communication
● Bachelor’s Degree
● Leadership Experience
● Well-developed sense of humor
● Ability to operate a computer for extended periods with appropriate rest periods
● Ability to stand, sit; talk, hear, and use the hands and finger to operate telephone and computer
● Ability to lift up to 20 pounds of general office equipment
● Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable any qualified person to perform the essential job duties
Time Commitment: This is a year-round, part-time position, for a maximum of 20 hours per week. While the schedule is somewhat flexible we need someone present in the office at least three days per week. We are a rapidly expanding organization and have the intention of increasing the hours as we grow. The position is a paid hourly position. Payment is commensurate with experience.
To Apply: Please send a resume and cover letter to: email@example.com
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, with the intent to fill this position by early June, 2018.
It is the policy of New Haven Farms, Inc. that no person shall be excluded from participation in, denied the benefits of, or otherwise discriminated against under any program, including employment, because of race, color, religious creed, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, learning disability and physical disability