New Haven Farms | Youth Program Educator
Position Description 2018
ABOUT NEW HAVEN FARMS: New Haven Farms’ nonprofit charitable mission is to promote health and community development through urban agriculture. We transform vacant urban land into vibrant and
productive organic farms. Our Farm Director and volunteer corps cultivate urban farms, and our harvest is made accessible to low-income families who struggle with chronic diet-related diseases and food insecurity. Families attend our Farm-Based Wellness Program and receive produce baskets combined with farm education, cooking demonstrations, and nutrition education on a weekly basis. For more information about New Haven Farms, visit http://www.newhavenfarms.org.
POSITION DESCRIPTION: The Youth Program Educator will develop and lead the Youth Farm-Based Wellness program on Tuesday and Thursday evenings in the Fair Haven and Hill neighborhoods of New Haven, CT. The Youth Program Educator is responsible for creating and delivering weekly curriculum for a group of children (ages 3 – 14 years old ), supervising the Youth
Program Assistant, Youth Program Educator Intern, and volunteers. This position will work directly with the Program Manager, the Farm Director and the farm team. The purpose of the program is to give children a chance to explore, play, and learn about the environment, food system, and nutrition through an
experiential education model and on-farm activities. The youth program occurs from 5:30-7:30pm Tuesday and Thursday from Mid May- Mid September, as parents attend the Adult Farm-Based Wellness Program.
● Plan and lead the bi weekly youth program from 5:30-7:30 pm Tuesdays and Thursdays to a diverse age range of young people (i.e, Basic Youth Garden Tasks – Watering, Planting, Weeding, Harvesting, Visiting the Greenhouse, Visiting the Bees, Building Bird Houses, Decorating Garden Signs, Building an Insect Hotel, etc.)
● Manage the youth garden at the Phoenix Press & 170 Ward Street Farms
● Organize and obtain all materials necessary to implement the youth program
● Record keeping with regards to what lessons were delivered as well as take daily attendance
● Communicate lesson plans to Program Manager
● Attending a monthly team meeting and report on the progress of the youth program
● Oversee and coordinate students’ bi-weekly tasks in the garden
● Effectively manage group behavior during the program delivery
COMPENSATION: This is a seasonal, part-time position. The Youth Program Educator will be expected to work 10 – 12 hours per week for a total of 24 weeks starting in April and ending in October,(with 5-10 hours weekly in April and October). Each week, a few work hours will be alloted to lesson
preparation and for obtaining any necessary supplies. All remaining hours with be spent delivering the Youth Farm-Based Wellness Program on Tuesday and Thursday evenings from 5:30 – 7:30 pm beginning in Mid May, ending in Mid September. Hours in April will be dedicated to program planning. Overtime is
not available for this position. There are no explicit employment benefits associated with this position, though access to fresh produce to bring home will be available during the growing season (June onwards). Workers compensation insurance is fully covered by New Haven Farms. The part-time employee is not entitled to any paid holidays.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
● Experience delivering educational programming with youth of diverse ages in a dynamic outdoor environment
● At least 1-2 years facilitating or leading experiential education activities with youth (ages 3 – 14 years old)
● Proven ability to manage one part time paid staff member, volunteers and interns (up to four total) as to successfully deliver the Youth Program
● Bachelor’s degree; or in process of obtaining a degree in education, environmental science, dietetics or public health.
● Experience working with diverse populations of young people
● Proven experience in managing group dynamics with a group of young people of varying ages
● Flexibility and creativity to problem solve in an urban farming environment
● Knowledge or interest in gardening, environment, science, health and nutrition, and food systems
● Bilingual (Spanish) encouraged to apply
Please email your resume and cover letter to Michael Lebwohl at email@example.com.
Please include the title of the position, Youth Program Educator in the subject line of your email.
Applications accepted up until April 20th, 2018.