Work for FRESH New London as a Food Justice Educator!
Position Title: Food Justice Educator
Position Status: part time, 18.5-25 hours per week
Position Location: New London, CT
Supervisor: Executive Director & Farm Manager
We are seeking someone committed to youth empowerment and social justice, who can work shoulder to shoulder with young people to grow food while guiding them to discover the direct connections between the food system and social justice.
This person will engage youth and other community members in the “how and why” of FRESH’s mission and work as part of a team to carry out positive food system change projects around New London. The Food Justice Educator will also assist in maintaining the FRESH Urban Farm and Education Center, work with youth to get FRESH food out to the community and may also work with people of all ages to promote food justice.
Key duties include:
Co-plan and co-facilitate seasonal Youth Crew Programs with Youth Leadership Coordinator and Junior Staff (youth staff) that teach young people about food justice.
Grow food with FRESH youth, from seed to sale, teach basic gardening skills and get food out to the community
Assist to facilitate farm based community education and volunteer engagement for all ages with the FRESH team.
Participate in FRESH staff meetings and events as a part of the team
Represent FRESH at local, regional and statewide meetings as needed
You might be the right person if:
– You know about, have experience with, and a passion for vegetable gardening and food justice.
– You are deeply committed to working with young people with respect and appreciation.
– You value youth power.
– You understand that people learn all different ways and have creative ideas about teaching
– You are fun and energetic
– You care about the core mission and vision of FRESH New London and are willing to learn more
– You are ready to work hard with a team of dedicated people
– You are responsible, flexible and self-motivated
– You are committed to working against racism and other forms of discrimination
– You are familiar with or willing to learn about New London
– Willing to work in both office and outdoor/ agricultural settings, including physical agricultural work. You can work well with other people and with supervision.
– You communicate well and often, even in times of conflict
– You have a flexible schedule – after school and evening hours, Saturday mornings and other flexible hours required.
Experience with fresh, whole foods cooking and an appreciation for food traditions of many cultures is strongly preferred.
Bi-lingual (Spanish and English preferred).
Valid CT Driver’s License/ clean driving record is strongly preferred. Willing and able to drive large van/small bus.
Salary & Benefits: This is a part time position with up to 18.5 hours per week during Spring & Fall seasons and 25-30 hours per week in the prime growing season. $15 – $17.50 per hour based on experience. Abundant fresh vegetables.
Special Requirements: Work in urban farm, greenhouse, outdoor classroom and office. Hard and repetitive physical work. Evening and weekend hours, flexibility required. Must live in or near New London. Current driver’s license and clean driving record.
As an EOE/AA employer, TSNE MissionWorks/FRESH New London will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identification and veteran or disability status.
Application deadline, March 7, 2018 or until filled
Anticipated start date: April 2, 2018