The application to serve as a FoodCorps AmeriCorps service member is open for just two and a half more weeks!
FoodCorps is a national non-profit that aims to connect kids to healthy food in schools. We work towards this goal by placing emerging leaders, as AmeriCorps service members, in high-needs communities; to engage students in hands-on nutrition & garden lessons, foster a school-wide culture of health, and promote healthy school meals. Currently, we have over 200 service members that are placed in 17 states & Washington D.C. In Connecticut, our 20 service members each work very closely with 1-2 schools, and are placed with a supervisor from the school district, a specific school, or a community based organization. For more information about what our service members have been up to thus far, I would suggest checking out our facebook page.
Although the deadline to apply is March 15th, applications in CT are being reviewed on a rolling basis, so, if you or someone you know is interested in applying– I would suggest doing so sooner rather than later! Please see a quick summary of the requirements & benefits, below. For more details, check out the full position description here.
What We’re Looking For
• Passion for building a healthier future for schoolchildren
• Demonstrated leadership ability
• Motivation to serve full-time in a limited resource community from August 1st, 2018-July 15th, 2019
• Perseverance in the face of challenges and creativity in finding solutions
• Respect for diversity of opinion, experience, and background
• Knowledge of the culture, history, and/or language of the communities we serve
• Desire to gain hands-on experience for your career
What You’ll Gain
• Up to $22,000 living stipend for Service Members in NY and CA, paid bi-weekly
• Up to $18,250 living stipend for Service Members in other states, paid bi-weekly
• $5,920 AmeriCorps Segal Education Award, upon successful completion of your term of service
• Health insurance*
• Partial childcare reimbursement, if you qualify
• Student loan forbearance, if you qualify
• Training, mentorship, and professional development opportunities
*Participation in the FoodCorps health insurance option is required if you cannot provide proof of existing coverage.
If you’re interested in the position, then, please: apply to be a FoodCorps service member now, or, forward this page to someone who would be a great fit for our program!
Finally, please direct any questions regarding the application to our FoodCorps Connecticut Local Recruiter, Chelsey Hahn, at Chelsey.Hahn@FoodCorps.org.