MILLSTONE FARMis hiring an Assistant Farmer!
About Millstone Farm:
Millstone Farm (www.millstonefarm.org) is a 75-acre family owned farm nestled in a bucolic rural setting in Wilton CT. We are a working farm with many different components including: diversified livestock, 2 acres of intensively produced crops and an international level equestrian facility currently under construction. Our staff is committed to strengthening ties between the surrounding community and our land through farm workshops and our Community Supported Agriculture program. We are proud to have longstanding partnerships with many of the best chefs and restaurants in our area as well as a number of community organizations and non-profits.
The Assistant Farmer position requires no previous experience. The ideal candidate will be interested in a career in the agricultural industry and have a passion for organic and sustainable local food systems. The Assistant Farmer will be trained by the existing staff members and will focus on all aspects of the crop production and/or basic livestock care. The candidate will learn valuable knowledge in soil building, composting, pest and disease control, irrigation, greenhouse propagation, crop planning and record keeping. Some gardening tasks may include harvesting, transplanting, seeding, and post-harvest handling of crops. Some livestock tasks may include feeding, moving, fencing as well as prep for harvesting.
• Full-Time year-round Hourly Position
• Immediate Start
• No previous experiences is required, but is preferred
• Self-motivated and ability to work in groups as well as independently
• Ability to focus on quality and have attention to detail when performing repetitive tasks
• Able to work outside in all weather conditions and physically capable of lifting 50 lbs.
• Reliable, responsible and punctual
• Ability to bring enthusiasm, initiative and a good attitude each day, especially during peak season
• Ability to follow detailed directions, ask questions when needed and retain information for future reference.
• Desire to learn
• Communicate well with others
• Valid driver’s license
• Generally 5 days per week 8AM-5PM, longer during the peak season
• Starting at $15/hour; negotiable commensurate with experience
To inquire about this position, please send resumes to Annie Farrell at firstname.lastname@example.org.