Hartford Food System is seeking a full-time Executive Director to join their team. The Executive Director is the key management leader of Hartford Food System. Working in partnership with HFS staff and the board of directors, the Executive Director has overall responsibility for the administration, programs, resourcing and strategic plan of the organization.
About Hartford Food System
Since 1978, Hartford Food System (HFS) has been dedicated to addressing problems of food security in Hartford. Our mission is to fight hunger and improve nutrition in our community and our goal is a healthy, culturally-responsive, just, resilient and sustainable food system that meets the needs of every community member. The work of HFS focuses on understanding and addressing the underlying causes of inequities in our food system. Our approach links the well-being of communities with sustainable agriculture, economic opportunity, and food justice. Our particular focus is urban communities. Our system-based perspective means that we influence a broad range of food system elements to achieve our primary goals of reducing hunger, improving health and nutrition, and encouraging a sustainable and equitable food supply.
Fundraising, marketing, relationship building ,and external–facing activities with community, government, organizations, and other constituents.
The position reports directly to the Board of Directors.
1) Board Governance: Works with the board in order to fulfill the organization’s mission.
- Responsible for leading Hartford Food System in a manner that supports and guides the organization’s mission as defined by the Board of Directors.
- Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
2) Financial Performance and Viability: Develops resources sufficient to ensure the financial health of the organization.
- Responsible for fundraising and developing other revenues necessary to support Hartford Food System’s mission. This is a shared responsibility with other staff.
- Responsible for the fiscal integrity of Hartford Food System, including submitting to the Board of a proposed annual budget and regular financial statements, which accurately reflect the financial condition of the organization. Works directly with the external auditor on the annual audit of the organizations’ finances and financial management practices.
- Responsible for fiscal management that generally anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization, and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial position.
3) Organization Mission and Strategy: Works with board and staff to ensure that the mission is fulfilled through programs, strategic planning and community outreach.
- Responsible for implementation of Hartford Food System’s programs that carry out the organization’s mission.
- Responsible for strategic planning to ensure that Hartford Food System can successfully fulfill its Mission into the future.
- Responsible for the enhancement of Hartford Food System’s image by being active and visible in the community and by working closely with other professional, civic and private organizations.
- Responsible for building and maintaining relationships within the community and other partner organizations, as well as soliciting and taking action on feedback
4) Organization Operations: Oversees and implements appropriate resources to ensure operational effectiveness of the organization.
- Responsible for the hiring and retention of competent, qualified staff that work as a team
- Nurture a healthy workplace culture.
- Oversee Hartford Food System operations, including the management of HFS owned assets.
- Signatory for all notes, agreements, and other instruments made and entered into and on behalf of the organization.
- A bachelor’s or advanced degree.
- Transparent and high integrity leadership.
- Five or more years senior nonprofit management experience.
- Experience and skill in working with a Board of Directors.
- High level strategic thinking and planning. Ability to envision and convey the organization’s strategic future to the staff, board, funders/donors, and volunteers.
- Ability to effectively communicate the organization’s mission to donors, volunteers and the overall community.
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and collaborate with staff.
- A history of successfully generating new revenue streams and improving financial results. Direct and significant experience in grant generation and reporting.
- Active fundraising experience. Excellent donor relations skills and understanding of the funding community.
- Previous success in establishing relationships with individuals and organizations of influence including funders, partner agencies, government entities and volunteers.
- Solid organizational abilities, including planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation.
- Strong financial management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision making and reporting.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong public speaking ability.
- Strong work ethic with a high degree of energy.
- Strong interest and familiarity with food system and food access issues and opportunities, including an understanding of food system inequities and the intersections with other justice issues.
- Deep familiarity with and, preferably, lived experience in urban settings in the Northeast, like Hartford with populations that are very diverse, both racially/ethnically and economically.
- A strong desire to “system-build” through both on the ground work and policy changes that can effect long term change in the environment.
- A commitment to shared and visionary leadership and the willingness to adapt in ways that promote staff and organizational effectiveness.
The salary range for this position is $78,000 – $93,000
Benefits include paid time off, health reimbursement account, and others to be determined.