Hartford Food System, Hartford, Connecticut, is seeking a full-time Managing Director.
Since 1978, Hartford Food System has been dedicated to addressing problems of food security in Hartford. Our mission is to fight hunger and improve nutrition in our community and our goal is a healthy, culturally responsive, just, resilient and sustainable food system that meets the needs of all community members. To help make this happen, we implement programs that improve access to nutritious and affordable food, we advocate and help build a robust and economically sound food system, and we promote responsible food policies at all levels of government. The work of HFS focuses on understanding and addressing the underlying causes of inadequate community access to healthy food. Our approach links the well-being of urban communities with sustainable agriculture, a more equitable food economy, and food justice. Our system-based perspective means that we influence a broad range of food system elements to achieve our primary goals of reducing hunger, improving health and nutrition, and encouraging a sustainable and equitable food supply. We employ the following strategies:
1) Increase access to non-emergency food outlets;
2) Deepen the connection between consumers and the sources of healthy food;
3) Build community capacity to advocate for a healthy and just food system;
4) Advance public policies to improve availability, affordability and quality of food.
The Managing Director will oversee the ongoing operations of Hartford Food System, including most program areas, with shared responsibility for administrative and financial functions. A key element of the position will be participation in and contribution to significant organizational transition anticipated in 2021, including potential deep affiliation with another local nonprofit organization. The position reports to and partners with the Hartford Food System Executive Director.
- Provides for all staff a strong day-to-day leadership presence, while developing a deep understanding of the HFS programs.
- Oversees the day-to-day functioning of program staff, equipment, administrative processes, and facilities.
- In partnership with the ED, manages and maintains HFS policies, internal controls, procedures, and accounting standards.
- Oversees the development and implementation of HFS projects and programs.
- On a shared basis, and with a high degree of personal participation, directs the funding processes of HFS including grant funding, contract funding, and individual donor processes. This includes the existing and new grant funding applications and grant reporting.
- Develops and administers program budgets, assuring organizational efficiency, appropriate resource allocation, and cash flow management.
- Participates in the HFS financial reporting processes, including coordination with the external auditor.
- Partners with the ED on the annual budget planning process as well as longer term budgeting.
- Human resources management, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, compensation, performance appraisals, and performance management of program personnel.
- Participates as needed in external activities including with funders, public officials, community organizations, organizational partners, and others.
- Supports the Executive Director in work with the HFS board of directors.
- 7 to 10 years of demonstrated nonprofit program delivery and/or management experience.
- Strong demonstrated communications skills, both written and oral.
- Experience in funding management, including both grant application preparation and awards reporting.
- Experience in project development and management
- Experience in the supervision of service delivery programs and their staff.
- Strong organization skills; ability to prioritize and manage multiple activities without compromising quality.
- Familiarity with Hartford and Capital Region a strong plus.
- Education: a minimum of a bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience (7-10 years of nonprofit experience in management/leadership roles.)
- Experience with successful food business models, both retail and wholesale (e.g., farmers markets, CSAs, food distributors) will be a strong plus.
Work Style and Personal Attributes:
- Commitment to the mission and work of HFS.
- Excited by change and the opportunity to help design and build a changing organization.
- Relishes personal interaction, with individuals and groups.
- Self-starter with a strong work ethic.
- Works well independently, as a management partner, and as a team contributor.
- Understands the needs, opportunities, and challenges of a mid-size nonprofit organization.
- Flexible and reliable.
- Highest professional integrity.
Send cover letter and resume electronically to:
Hartford Food System
Martha Page, Executive Director
Salary (exempt position) commensurate with experience.