Share Our Strength’s, Cooking Matters CT®
Program Assistant- Project Description
Share Our Strength’s Cooking Matters is a ground-breaking nutrition education program that helps families by teaching them how to prepare healthy low-cost meals and receive the most nutrition from a limited budget. Since 1993, the program has utilized the strengths of professional chefs, nutritionists and financial advisors in roles as volunteer instructors, teaching classes for adults, teens and children living on low incomes.
Cooking Matters offers seven specialized courses that take a cooking-centered approach to nutrition and household budgeting. Nutrition courses are taught by chefs and nutritionists who volunteer their talents to teach families how to make healthy food choices on a limited budget. Courses are offered for adults, teens, children, parents and children together, and include four or six two-hour sessions. Each class includes hands-on meal preparation that focuses on teaching participants that cooking healthy foods can be simple, enjoyable, and delicious.
Cooking Matters CT, is seeking an individual to help with its local partnering program in various communities around the state. This is a Per Diem position and hours and days will vary based on programming.
This individual will work with Cooking Matters staff to implement effective cooking-based nutrition education courses for low-income families. This individual in this position will:
· Assist with the coordination of courses including managing the classroom, securing needed food and materials, and supporting volunteers and participants.
· Maintain inventory of all food and office supplies.
· Assist with the recruitment, training, and retention of culinary, nutrition, financial, and support volunteers who assist with Cooking Matters courses.
· Participate in community events, such as, farmers markets, health fairs, community meetings, etc.
The individual in this position will receive orientation training from the Community Health Network of CT Foundation Cooking Matters Coordinator.
· At least 18 years of age
· Presently enrolled college student or college graduate
· Interest in nutrition and/or culinary arts, Public Health, Health Promotion
· Driver’s license and good driving record
· Public speaking skills
· Computer skills
· Excellent Organizational skills
· Reliable transportation
Submit a resume and cover letter, via email, stating why you are interested in the Cooking Matters position at Community Health Network of CT Foundation, Inc.
Email resumes and cover letter to Nkarampurwala@chnct.org