We cultivate community connections and equitable access to quality food through
empowerment and learning with the people who grow, prepare, and eat food in New Britain.
Job Description Summary
The Garden Manager will be tasked with the goal of managing and coordinating the maintenance and use of 12 existing school gardens in New Britain in addition to the
Senior Center Greenhouse and East Side Community Garden. The school gardens include 3 greenhouses and the community garden features 45 rented garden plots. Communication between volunteers, schools, and community partners will be an essential duty. The Manager will be expected to work 2 weekends per month from May-October. PTO will be limited in the summer. Each weekend day worked will contribute to 1 paid vacation day in the winter.
The Manager will work directly with ROOTS’ Executive Director. They will co-manage
our youth employment program, City Growers, in addition to overseeing volunteer activities at our garden sites. Coordination of school garden activity will be between ROOTS’ Education Coordinator and appropriate school staff.
This is a paid, year round position. Salary range of $32,000-$36,000/yr, DOE.
Benefits package includes Health & Dental Insurance Reimbursement through a QSEHRA, and a matching retirement plan. 5 days of PTO per year, plus all federal holidays.
- Applicants must have a minimum of 2 years experience in vegetable production/gardening on a small scale and 1 year experience supervising and training volunteers or youth
- Experience with irrigation systems, proper watering schedules, small machinery, and light carpentry
- A valid driver’s license is required, with a clean driving record
- Bachelor’s Degree or substitute 4 years experience working in youth development, gardening/farming, community based nonprofit programs
- Ability to work independently and with groups of youth and adults
- Ability to lift, push and/or pull objects up to 50 lbs
- Ability to work with and in proximity of equipment with moving mechanical parts
- Ability to perform physically demanding labor outdoors and tolerate varying weather conditions year-round
Submit a resume and cover letter to Joey Listro, Executive Director, at email@example.com
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
New Britain ROOTS is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and sexual orientation), national origin, caste, tribe, age, disability status, protected veteran status or any other
characteristic protected by law.